History of Tangkak
Founded in the year 1901 at the foot of Mt. Ophir(1276m high) and was under the direct control of Muar district then. In the year 1946, the local council was established and was governed by the Assistant District Officer who in turn reported to the Muar District Office even up to today.
According to hearsay, the word Tangkak came from the word MERANGKAK. It was believed that Long Mahmud had led 7 brothers from the Riau Province to start the first settlement that is now known as Tangkak. These 7 brothers had sailed from Riau Province and sailing along the Kesang River finally arrived at Tangkak River. They saw the flat land and decided to stay put at the place. Unfortunately they had difficulties getting up the river bank as their legs got stuck at the slippery river mud. They had to use the roots of trees to help them to get on land. When other settlers asked them the name of the place, they will answer TANG MERANGKAK TU. Over a period of time, it was shortened to TANGKAK the name we all know today.